“With each new announcement consumers are sent out in a frenzy to panic buy”
It seems that with each passing day, it becomes more apparent that things are set to get worse before they get better. As we head towards the peak of the pandemic, unfortunately with each new announcement consumers are sent out in a frenzy to panic buy everything from paper towels and toilet paper to all of the ground beef, chicken, rice, noodles, and bread.
Going out to the store has its risks, so it’s even more frustrating when we’re unable to find the essentials & food we need to avoid trips to the store in the near future. The CDC has advised households to stock up for 14 days.
What supplies to stock
Here is guidance on what you should stock up on right now
- Dry goods (beans, rice, cereal, pasta)
- Canned food (soup, fruit, veggies)
- Fresh food (such as ground beef or chicken that can be frozen)
- Frozen food (hot pockets, veggies, taquitos, pizza, etc)
- Bottled water (unless you have a water purifier at home)
- Baby food
- Pet food
Here are some regular items most households have, but you should just double check to make sure you have enough to potentially last 14 days
- Hand soap
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant spray and wipes
- Bath tissue (you do not need more than 10 rolls per person in your household)
- Kleenex tissue
- Paper towels (4 rolls per person in your household)
- Feminine supplies
- Prescription medicine
- Over-the-Counter medicine (vitamins, motrin, tylenol, ibuprofen, allergy medicines, zinc, cough drops)
- Toiletries (tooth paste, floss, shampoo, razors, etc)
- Laundry detergent
- Dish detergent
- Cat litter
Lastly, some nice-to-have ‘comfort’ items should you actually end up in quarantine and unable to leave your home for 2 weeks
- Gatorade or Pedialyte
- Fun food (chips, sweets, beef jerky)
- Amazon prime membership
How to find and stock essentials
Here are our tips and tricks to find the items you need, despite almost every major retailer being out of stock both in-store and online :
- Giftata app : Through the Giftata mobile app we’ve created a category on our discover screen that’s dedicated to helping our users find essentials and food online. We’ll be working hard throughout this crisis to update product links every day to ensure we’re only linking to products that are in stock.
- Target & Walgreens : Our users have reported that multiple retailers are holding essentials behind counters or in the back so that they’re available by request only. Our advice would be to call retailers like Target, Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid ahead of visiting the store to verify inventory. Both Target & Walgreens have a great “Find at a store” functionality which has helped me personally find toilet paper and sanitizer at a store just a few miles away. I’ve been able to find essentials at these secondary grocers and pharmacies.
- 7Eleven : Yesterday evening I visited a 7Eleven for the first time since the pandemic broke out. While every grocery store within 10 miles of me has changed their hours to close at 7 or 8pm, 7Eleven was still open past 10pm. I was quite surprised by their inventory as well – plenty of toilet paper, bottled water, soap, sanitizer, food, & snacks.
- Think outside the box : If you’re running low on essentials, you might be surprised to find that retailers like Office Depot, Staples, Home Depot, & Lowes carry many of the essentials you need.
God bless & stay safe!